Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Yesterdays Walkout


As I scan today's news about yesterdays event, I come across the following…
"I think the more pressure [we put on lawmakers], the more people will have to listen," said Salvadoran immigrant Lidia Reyes, a 32-year-old resident of Northwest. "Hopefully it will work, [because] we're here to stay." "

"Immigration is not the problem," he said. "The problem is we have a broken immigration system that is inadequate for the flow of immigrants", said NCIC President Jaime ContrerasThe Washington Times
"We are here to stay!" sounds like something a bully would say after he took your lunch money.
And I really like this one… "inadequate for the flow of immigrants". I would take that to mean that if we open our borders that the invasion would be complete and we for sure have lost America.


" If I don't support immigration right now, even if I got papers now," Ortega said, "my kids and my grandkids might suffer discrimination in some way. " said Alex Ortega, 36, closed his auto repair shop Monday and gave his two workers the day off. Ortega, a legal resident, said he wanted to attend the Portland rally for immigrants who couldn't speak out.
" A few counter-protesters along the Portland route held signs or wore T-shirts opposing illegal immigration. Paul Hanson of Milwaukie stood on a corner with a sign, "Show no respect, get no respect."
"All of this is annoying. Their argument is absurd -- just because you work hard, you should get let in illegally?" Hanson said. "My family came here 100 years ago from Scandinavia and went through a painstaking process to be part of America. I'm just asking people to do the same."
"

The Oregonian

" signs read: "The Pilgrims Didn't Have Papers," "We Are Workers, Not Criminals," "Legalize, Not Criminalize," "We March, We vote," and "No Sensenbrenner Bill, Yes Immigration." "

WE VOTE?!? Yes, they really do. But I thought….
" Collective chants of "Viva los Estados Unidos," or "Long live the United States," and "(President) Bush, Escucha, Estamos en la Lucha," or (President) Bush, Listen to Us, We Are in a Struggle for Our Livelihoods" echoed in the streets. "


"As the parade approached the corner of Chemeketa and Winter streets, Don Blair and Terry Bates stood behind police barricades holding up signs that read: "Illegal? Go Home. Come Back Legally," and "No Amnesty For Law Breakers, Come to the U.S. Legally."
It wasn't long before the two caught marchers' eyes, inciting the crowd.
"White trash!" shouted one male marcher.
"We're here, and we're not leaving!" a female demonstrator shouted at the pair.
"Go home, gringos!" another man shouted.
Others spat expletives at the pair, but neither Blair nor Bates were deterred.
"I disagree with the way these people are going about this," said Blair, a retired Vietnam veteran from Keizer. "They're burglars and they're trying to steal citizenship."
"

Statesman Journal

Igor Silaev and his wife Leah say they feel like illegal immigrants are cutting in line " I am so angry to see these people say it's because of us that this country is moving," says Leah. "You know what? You didn't build this country and it isn't going to fall apart when you walk out of your job."
Igor Silaev immigrated to the United States legally

KATU 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed that there were as many people against the rally as there were for it. Out of the more than 12 million illegals in the country only 1 million showed up to protest, and many of them were legals. I don't think they did much to hurt our economy, but they sure put themselves front and center. What a way to be remembered.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering why they would want to point themselves out so blatantly. I mean no better way to say "Hey! I'm illegal." than to not show up for work, or school, on the day all the illegals are skipping out. I'm also wondering why the INS didnt show up on the federal buildings front porch to round em up and send em home. I mean, HELLO, they were right there! Laura has heard me say this a million or so times. things would be entirely different if we shared a border with Iraq. We would gave guard towers down there on the border and blow away all who crossed. Civillians would be allowed to do the same. Ad within a few days, they would stop sneaking over.