Friday, May 19, 2006

Freeway improvements ahead?


If you have lived or traveled in the Eugene./Springfield area for any length of time you start to become very familiar with the freeway system.
Although I do not get out to west Eugene that often, I am aware that some of the major bottlenecks have been for a long time westbound Beltline just before the River Avenue exit and most recently, eastbound 105 between Coburg Road and I-5.

At both of these areas it is not uncommon anymore for traffic to come to a sudden stop.
picture of intersection

So which intersection do they decide to tackle first? Beltline and I-5 of course.[keep us moving .info]
because that feeds into the Gateway area and where the new hospital is being constructed. While it is a source of traffic tieups as people try to maneuver traffic coming off I-5, compared to three intersections, I would personally rated as number three on the priority list.





project information

Therefore, what is my points all this?

In yesterday's mail, I get a card from ODOT informing me that I am welcome to participate in an open house to talk about the intersections between Pioneer Parkway along Interstate 126 to Main Street.



As you can see, Pioneer Parkway and Mohawk Boulevard are in the next phase of study while the intersection at 42nd St and 52nd St as well as Main Street are under study.

My only recommendation to ODOT is to extend the length of the on-off ramps giving people time to maneuver in and out of traffic.

The other thing I have to mention here is, at most off ramps it is unnecessary to slow down to 40 miles an hour from 55 miles an hour one quarter-mile before the offramp.

This is one of the major causes my opinion for traffic to get backed up on the freeway which also causes accidents.

what I wonder, is where's the money coming from and why are they doing it now?
would it have anything to do with the summer Olympic trials coming in the next couple years, which is my same theory why we are pushing that stupid high-speed bus line?
sometimes, you just have to wonder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, public meetings help decide the plans. Sad thing is not everyone goes to the meetings so the people getting their way are the ones that irritate everyone else. Most generally it is aomeone who has just moved here (Californians are the worst) and want to change the way we do things. Happened in CG with the race track. The race track has been in operation for over 50 years and yet a new resident decided it was damamging their lifestyle and tried to shut it down. My comment - If you don't like our town - go somewhere else.
SO - the only way to get what you want is to throw your weight around at meetings that the rest of the public is too busy to attend.

Anonymous said...

I have said this many times in the past and will say it again. The most powerful local elected politician is Springfield Mayor Sid Leiken. He is tied closely with democrats and republicans alike and knows how to make things work and bring the money influence to the table. One day I asked some Eugene Chamber folks, who really does have DeFazio's ear? Is it Kitty Piercy, Peter Sorenson, Bill Dwyer? They all laughed and said Sid Leiken. I then asked, what about the Governor? Same! Senator Smith? Same! It is no accident that Springfield has been so successful during his 6 years as Mayor.

Robin said...

anon, I'll definitely have to agree with you.
I give Springfield kudos for having a more sane approach to various issues then Eugene does. Even time an experiment of hooking up three power generating semi trailers to try and supplement the high energy costs.

The city of Eugene, I think sometimes they just don't get it.