Saturday, June 12, 2010

Should advertisers call cell phones?

Robin's commentary --

I was at work today when my cell phone rang from a number that I did not recognize, 812-323-2011. Thinking it might have been important; I dropped what I was doing and answered the phone. It turned out that the number was from Stone Research Services from Indianapolis, Illinois and they wanted to talk to the person who bought the building and maintenance supplies for the household.

I inquired from them how they got my number being that it was a cell phone and the number is not publicized, and they said that the number came from somebody that I did business with in the past, but refused to identify the business.

I asked them did you know this is a cell phone and you are burning my minutes? They replied, "yes, we are targeting cell phones because more young people do not have land lines." they continued, " If you would like, you to call us back from a landline to answer our survey."

I told them that I had a better idea, "how about you just remove my name from your database and will call it good."

And that brings up the point; I have never really liked solicitation on my home phone and I definitely do not like advertisers calling me on my cell phone especially if they're using up my minutes.

Cell phones have become more of a personal communications device, which is allowed us to be more in contact (sometimes unfortunately) than we ever have been in the past with a regular telephone, decreasing the chances of an unanswered phone, which of course is gold to an advertiser.

The idea of advertising on cell phones was shot down several years ago when some companies were thinking about sending text advertisements randomly to your cell phone. Subscribers quickly told providers that they would drop their subscriptions if they started to do that. A message, which apparently they heard.

On the same token, we should let advertisers know that calling a cell phone is not at all appreciated and will not be tolerated and that businesses that promote cell phone advertising will be boycotted.

No comments: