Saturday, April 28, 2007

Thank you sleepy Ted

Robin's Commentary--

I just wanted to express my gratitude to Governor Ted Kulongoski a.k.a. “Ted tax and gouge me” for helping to pass a law requiring a prescription for certain over-the-counter medications to help reduce methamphetamine in Oregon.

I have lived in Oregon the majority of my life, and like most people who live here, develop hay fever, and take medications to help get through the season.

I also have asthma and would take an over-the-counter medication when my asthma would get out of hand because my lungs would get filled up with fluid.

Medication that I very rarely use, in fact, the last box I had lasted me for about four years.

Unfortunate, I used my last tablet this last week and went to the pharmacy to get another box, where I was informed that I would have to call my doctor and get a prescription for this formally over-the-counter medication.

The medication is Broncaid, which unfortunately became a prescription drug because it contains ephedrine.

No problem I thought to myself. I'll just call my doctor and get a prescription.

After hours of waiting and hacking up fluid for my doctor to call me back, she calls me and says, "Robin, I do not feel comfortable in prescribing such a drug however, I will prescribe Sudafed."

Sudafed is also a prescription only drug now thanks to Uncle Teddy

I tried to convince my doctor about the benefits of Broncaid and how much better it is then Sudafed, however, I was unsuccessful in my endeavor and my doctor concluded the call with, "it's either Sudafed are nothing!"

So, I guess Sudafed it is.


And I still can't breathe.

7 comments:

ZOG said...

Robin,
I would like to get your help in getting the word out about the Northwest Conservatives Forum. I think it could be a great central hub for all of us to get together, share ideas, and organize. Liberals are good at organizing, that's how then get where they are today. Let's use that same tactic. If we do, we have an advantage, common sense and logic.

Robin said...

by the way, that prescription costs $19 for medication that used to cost 3.95 over the counter

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you managed to get it over the phone. I have to pay for an office visit AND the script. You need to add your voice to others and submit letters to editors in every paper you can.

Bobkatt said...

Robin-this is just the beginning of the governments attempt to bring everything from water, food, vitamins, and supplements under the control of the international Codex Alimentarius Commission. The EU has already adopted these UN standards.
"The European Union Directive on Dietary Supplements, which becomes law in August, severely restricts the types and quantities of supplements that may be legally sold. Most forms of vitamins C and E, for example, are not available, or are available only in extremely small doses."
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission have agreed to a Trilateral Cooperation Charter with counterparts in Canada and Mexico under the auspices of NAFTA and the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America that will crack down on public access to food supplements and vitamins."
First the European Union then the North American Union then One World Union. We have to stop this madness now.

Anonymous said...

Is this leading up to cheaper health care? I think not! I believe that most citizens are unaware of what's going on. The word needs to get out soon.

Anonymous said...

I ride the bus from the Grove every day and have time to chat with other riders about almost everything. One of the regular riders suffers from alergies. She had the same problem as Robin and called her Dr. He refused to give her a script for anything without an office visit. And then told her "We are reluctant to give out medications with the meth problem we have," HMMM- I don't know about anybody else, but I don't have a meth problem and neither does she. Once again the law abiding citizen pays for the illegal one. Let's see - take time off from work, cost $80; office visit, cost - $65; script from pharmacy, cost - $25; KNOWING YOUR HELPING THE METH PROBLEM - PRICELESS!

Anonymous said...

Send your snotty, alergy-ridden tissues to Ted.