Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Lane community college gives pink slips to 50 employees

KVAL--


ironically on the same day of the job fair held that Lane community college, on tonight's news was an article about Lane Community College is giving notice to about 50 employees as a result of its $6 million budget deficit.
" This continued disinvestment in community colleges is the reason for our reductions and our increases in tuition which are keeping many, many students out of a higher education. It's very unfortunate," said Mary Spilde, LCC Presdient. "

Computer science students such as myself have already felt the effects of the budget cuts through reduced hours in the Labs.
" I sort of depend on those lab hours to get tutoring and help of my project for programming and sciences, is still difficult to sort of do it on your own." Said Ben Abbey, a computer science student at Lane Community College
It's sort of like we need this to go on in our education, so it hurts,

Who's to blame for this situation?

" the simple fact here is that between the ballot measures that reduce the budget in the state funding situation, we cannot continue to provide services the way we have. "Said Bob Baldwin, union president


LCC officials feel that a change in the Pers rate or additional state funding from special legislation sessions avoid this situation.


Personally, I don't see how a change in a Pers rate or additional state funding is going to help.
While I am first to recognize that there are some excellent instructors and programs at LCC, I also feel that it is time for shakeup like this, simply because at least based in my experience, that they have simply forgotten their sole reason for their existence.

Their primary customer... the students.

Let me put it this way; I will be graduating at the end of this term after spending over $21,000 for training for an entry-level position. My expectation for the amount of money that I spent on my training was a lot higher than what I felt that I got.

7 comments:

David said...

--NOTE--
The total number of bloggers is up from 25 now...I'm just not sure how many that is. But the point is the 25 figure on the left could be upgraded.

Anonymous said...

I know that a lot of colleges, LCC included, apply for grants just like students do for a lot of their money. Isn't it odd that no one mentioned that LCC's budget shortfall isn't JUST because of cuts - they didn't apply for all the grants that usually fund the college. Maybe they should fire the person who didn't apply for the grant to make up shortfalls.

Anonymous said...

I hope that none of the 50 fired have families to feed. It irritates me that some students are getting paid for what I consider a volunteer job that gains experience. For example - students in 'government' get $500/term, and students working on the newspaper get a stipend. Just a small example of money that could be used in other ways. There is waste all over campus and no one seems interested in gaining control of it. Reminds me of the Federal Government - don't cut spending, borrow more money! Still wonder why they call it HIGHER education?

Anonymous said...

there is a rumor going around campus that bad bookkeeping caused the problem

Robin said...

yea, I had it updated recently, then people were reporting that they were unable using Internet Explorer to submit their comments. Apparently there was an error in the coding that prevented this. To get the blog up and running, I used one of my backup templates.

I worked all last week including Saturday & Sunday in addition to keeping up with my classes at looking for permanent work. So, updating the template is very low or my priority list of things that need to be done.

however, thank you for reminding me David. I would do it is as soon as I am able to.

Anonymous said...

29!

And I couldn't agree more about LCC. It isn't an institution for providing useful instruction in trades or a foundation education for university. It is a combination diploma mill and liberal indoctrination center. The LCC establishment only cares about two things: cash flow, and pleasing OSPIRG.

If I had to do it over again, no way in hell would I have spent a year there. And if I had a teenage child, no way in hell would I send him or her there.

Scottiebill said...

Look for LCC to replace those 50 displaced workers with 50 illegal aliens in the not too distant future.