Saturday, February 25, 2006

Don Knotts Dead at 81


Reuters--

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Don Knotts, who won five Emmys for portraying the bungling deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show," has died, media reports said on Saturday. He was 81
Knotts died on Friday night at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, California, of pulmonary and respiratory complications, according to media reports.
Knotts' bug-eyed, high-strung character helped make "Andy Griffith," a sitcom about a folksy sheriff in small-town America, one of the most popular U.S. television shows of the 1960s.
Knotts also had a string of successful comedic movies, including "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" and "The Incredible Mr. Limpet," and later appeared as a regular in the TV comedy series "Three's Company."

Another part of history. Thanks Don for your special humor. You'll be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, I will miss him, too. Luckily, all his adventures are preserved on media for all time! I grew up watching Andy and Don. Or should I say, I grew up laughing at Andy and Don. Seems like a lot of the old pioneers are passing away lately. I want to be like George Burns and live forever, like Hugh Hefner and be sexy forever, and like Princess Di and be loved forever. Barney Fife forever!

JustaDog said...

I've seen most everything he has appeared in, except Three's Company.

I still like watching the Andy Griffith Show when I can. They sure don't make TV shows like that anymore.

Sometimes reruns ARE good!

There will never be another Don Knotts, and I hope the remake-happy Hollowwood never tries to remake any of his shows - they will flop.