Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Police make several arrests in Cottage Grove over car theft

KEZI--

Cottage Grove police make arrests over car theft ring, which has stolen at over 30 cars within a six-week period in the Cottage Grove area.
"I've been here for 12-14 years and I don't remember having some many cars being stolen with in such a short amount of time," said Corporal Scott Shepherd, detective with the Cottage Grove Police Department.

According to Cottage Grove police Chief Mike Grover, the thieves used shaved keys to get into the cars.
After an investigation by police, a warrant was issued and arrest were made at a home outside of town where they found evidence of stolen property which included weapons and stolen car parts as well as car radios and amps.
Since the arrests, the number of stolen cars in Cottage Grove has dropped off, however they (the police) believe that more people are connected and expect more people to be arrested soon.

I personally would rather see headlines "police bust car theft ring" versus "police go after prostitution" which would encourage me more for wanting to vote "yes" for funding for public safety. Instead, what we have been hearing for a long time is them threatening us by stating “we’ll cut enforcement if we don’t get our way.” That is no better then an employee saying that “I’ll work harder if you pay me more”, which yields about the same result.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to say, as a citizen of the Grove, that our police force takes our safety very seriously. Even with major cuts in funding, our Fire Dept. rises to every occasion. ALL calls for help are answered. Seems to me that as our economy gets worse, yes I said worse, not better, George, people are scrambling for ways to make ends meet. Those with no other option turn to crime. Sad state of affairs isn't it?
I love small town living because I feel safe. Yes, we do get our crime waves but our PD does their job.

Bobkatt said...

I hope the three commissioners that voted for the tax to go through have an employment back-up for when they get recalled or voted out next election.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet that the people stealing the cars weren't people "scrambling for ways to make ends meet." They were in it to get drug money.

I live in Grove, too, and I agree our police department is top notch.