Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"when ordering... speak English"says Philadelphia store owner

MSNBC--


I just completed [yesterday] my final final. With one 1-credit requirement remaining, I will hopefully be done with LCC forever.

So to start things off and to get back in the swing of things... a friend of mine sent me this controversial article about a Philadelphia store owner stating, "this is America... when ordering, speak English."

The store's owner, Joey Vento came under fire by the city's commission on human relations for placing a sign in his window stating that "this is America... when ordering, speak English" citing that Mr. Vento was in violation of the city's "Fair Practices Ordinance", which prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing.
" it's discouraging patronage by non-English-speaking customers because of their national origin or ancestry," said Rachel Lawton, acting executive director of the city's commission on human relations


Lawton indicated that the restaurant could be ordered to take down the sign or face fines up to $300[link].

" no one is refused service and no one is discriminated against, [referring to design] it is meant to encourage immigrants to learn English. Vento told Reuters, if you don't speak English, the sign means nothing. "

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on being 1 credit shy of doneness. what is the one credit? some bs "diversity" class? some bs "physical fitness" class? some bs "art appreciation" class? I hated all the bs I hate to take, as none of it related to anything I wanted to do for a major, and all of it was something I either just inherently knew about or learned as a three year old.

So, I assume you will be taking a credit over summer? And when done, will you have an LCC degree? What kind?

Good luck with everything!!!

Robin said...

Thanks Gully

Yes you are correct, it is a PE class and they would not let me out of it. I tried.

My major is in computer networking, but it is worthless[not just my opinion, the opinion of some businesses in the area]

wasted time and wasted money...

hopefully I can get a job in the field that I was doing before I went to school.

thank you for the well wishes.

Anonymous said...

You can take a shooting class, and it counts as PE credit. I checked.

No degree is worthless!

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

https://inb.lanecc.edu:4446/pls/lane/bwckschd.p_disp_listcrse?term_in=200620&subj_in=PE&crse_in=186H&crn_in=20552

(you'll have to find this term's schedule, but they offer this every term I think)

Anonymous said...

The article also stated that the business owner was from an imigrant family. He thinks it is a slap in the face to those that learned English and became Americans - legally. I guess no one remembers that when you go to someone else's country, you have to be able to speak their language to order ANYTHING.
AND -Robin deserves a lot more than congrats for all the crap she has had to put up with to get a 2 yr. degree. I KNOw!! I took the Handguns course and it was NOT easy. I got a 95 and that was a B, yes, a B. BUT, I can now shoot a gun rather well and am eligible to carry a concealed weapon. Don't mess with me man!
Glad to see you blogging again Robin. Write on.