Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Don’t mess with Christmas!

Boston Herald


Jerry Falwell along with an army of conservative lawyers warned Boston and other cities, "don't mess with Christmas!"


"This is a Christmas tree," Boston Parks Commissioner Toni Pollak insisted about the Nova Scotia spruce that will light on December 1 in the historic Boston Common. "It's definitely a Christmas tree."

Falwell, has put the power of his 24,000 member congregation behind the "friend or foe Christmas campaign," in an effort to lead the conservative legal organization liberty counsel. The group promises to file suit against anyone who spreads what it sees as misinformation about how Christmas can be celebrated in schools and public spaces.

Other crazy things going on...

  • Westfield, a group of high school students were suspended for distributed candy canes with religious messages. A federal court found the suspensions unconstitutional. Yea!!


  • Last year, an ACLU lawsuit led to a creche being banished from an elementary school display in South Norwood. a crèche is a representation of the Infant Jesus in the manger, hey I had to look it up.


  • In Lexington, the Knights of Columbus filed a lawsuit challenging selectmen’s decision to bar them from erecting a creche on the town green, but a federal judge upheld the ban.


  • “Today, it seems like all religious symbols are being erased,” said Kathleen Hintlian, a Lexington mother of five who used to take her children to visit the creche each year. “I thought it represented hope and peace. And we need that especially in our world today.”

    I agree. Although I have never been a really great advocate of Jerry Falwel, for once I will say that I will give him kudos for taking a pro active approach and not letting one of our major traditions in this country die e.g. Christmas.

    I never really thought that much about it when I was growing up and we see all those animated kids shows like the Grinch that stole Christmas because I thought that Christmas would always be here.

    Never in my wildest dreams, would I think that there would be a group that would actually try to ban Christmas. But they are out there.

    Personally, I don't care what label that you put on the tree itself. To me, I will always refer to it as a Christmas tree. It is not a Hanukkah tree, it is not a Muslim tree, it is not a holiday tree, it is a Christmas tree.

    For those people who wished not to celebrate Christmas, can go to work on December 24 and 25th for straight pay, while the rest of us stay home and celebrate the birth of Jesus.

    We constantly hear that we should celebrate diversity. While I agree with that 100% it must be a two-way street. The beauty about the United States is that we have the freedom to practice whatever religion we wish, and that includes Christianity.

    I am not a Christian but I do believe in God and I will defend your right to believe your religion whatever that may be.

    NO ONE is asking somebody else to participate against their will in any religion and if a particular religion offends you then all I have to say in response to that is...

    GROW UP!!!

    2 comments:

    MAX Redline said...

    Ever noticed that in PDX Pioneer Couthouse Square, every year they have a big "holiday tree"? Ever noticed that right across the way, in the same square, they have a large Menorah? Ever noticed that PDX never refers to it as a "holiday candelabra"?

    It's a menorah because that's what it is. They should call it a Christmas Tree because that's what it is.

    All religions should have equal standing under the law, and freedom of expression should be permitted for all. Everywhere in the USA.

    That's what this country was built upon.

    And by the way, I don't have a dog in this fight: I'm agnostic.

    Anonymous said...

    Good day !.
    You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
    There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you need
    The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
    Do you want to become an affluent person?
    That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

    I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
    I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
    It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ubomemiju.freecities.com/equgowe.html
    and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money