Saturday, January 02, 2010

this article should be interesting to follow...

Robin's Commentary

As I am doing my search on the web for news articles to post in the blog, I came across this little interesting segment in the statesman Journal blog page.

It's entitled, "EileenDiCicco's page", who is a former Statesman Journal employee now seeking employment and wishes to share her experience with others to hopefully be helpful to people in similar circumstances.

"I had hoped to have a job by Jan. 1. This is the longest stretch of unemployment I have ever experienced and no good prospects have materialized so far. Nevertheless, I have received some great training to improve my Microsoft Office 2007 skills; I've taken an online grant writing class and have begun utilizing what I've learned; and I've taken a Web design class. I have invested in computer software so I can continue to build upon what I've learned from home. I am volunteering my time and talents to several worthy organizations: Marion-Polk Food Share, Salem Leadership Foundation, Habitat for Humanity and Faith Evangelical Free Church. I have been blessed with some freelance writing and editing that has supplemented unemployment.

I am contemplating self-employment and seeking direction from the Lord and other resources in what that might look like. I know I have marketable skills and talent, I just have to discover how to persuasively present them to those who can benefit from them and are willing and able to pay a fair price for them. For years, I have been a faithful and diligent worker bee for others. Now I need to look at the option of working for myself in the service of others. It will be an exercise in planning, faith and empowerment. I welcome advice as I traverse uncharted waters during this season of my life."


Of course, I wish her the best in finding employment. I think that goes without saying. But I also think that she's going to get a little surprise that may open her eyes wide open.

For example, a letter to Lars Larson that he read over the air from a lady with 29 years experience in radio. In her letter, she commented that she had had several interviews where she was perfectly qualified for the job except for one little detail... SHE DID NOT SPEAK SPANISH!

She ended her letter stating that she is taking courses in Spanish just so she can get a job.

I have run into the same situation. Lane community college for example has a job opening for a maintenance person in Florence.

"SPANISH OR ASIAN SPEAKING PREFERRED!"

What I think is really interesting in all of this, and some will call it reverse discrimination, so be it. But what happened to the EEOC where they are not supposed to look at your race, gender, etc.

And before you shut out the race card... let me make one little point.

This is still America and the primary language here is still English. If we wish to cater to other languages as a courtesy, that is fine. I have no problem with that. I do however have a problem with people who have violated the sanctity of our borders and insulted the people who have spent the time, money and effort to come here legally and to be a part of our society.

But I digress.

The other issue that she's going to find difficult is that a lot of companies are only hiring over the Internet. In addition, these companies are using services like "Taleo" which utilizes keywords to filter out your resume before a human even looks at it.

All that talent and education that you may have now becomes a guessing game.

I don't know what the answers are, but I do know that if things don't change they are only going to get worse.

7 comments:

Bobkatt said...

Interesting. I just emailed the HR person at LCC and asked exactly why knowing Spanish/Asian languages would apply to a custodian job. Wonder if I will get a reply. I'll let you know.

Robin said...

I think that is an excellent idea Bobkatt.

maybe this is what we all should start doing is bringing this to the forefront and start a letter writing campaign and embarrass companies that have hire practices like this.

Robin said...

here is the ad for the job at LCC link
0600537
Job Title: Part-time, Temporary Maintenance Worker/Custodian Florence Center
Classification: Maintenance Worker

"As a vibrant educational institution, Lane is continuing to attract and retain a diverse student population. We are seeking qualified staff and educators to meet this need. Preferred candidates will be able to demonstrate active dedication to enhancing diversity and the role-modeling of cultural competency. Bilingual skills in Asian and Spanish languages are strongly desired. "

Bobkatt said...

UPDATE:
Greetings,
I will be out of the office until January 4, 2010. For recruitment questions 541.463.5586 if you need immediate assistance.

College Closed to public 12/21- 12/23/2009
Holiday Closures: 12/24-25,28 & 01/01/2010

Welcome to the New Year!

Employment Opportunities: https://jobs.lanecc.edu
__________________________________________

Lane Community College is closed on Friday's for the summer.
Thank you.
LynnMarie
Lane Community College
541-463-5111
541-463-5586
chowdhuryl@lanecc.edu
recruitment@lanecc.edu

Bobkatt said...

Update: "Greetings,

I am not sure if this is a question or a statement. It is a very good inquiry. The Asian/Spanish language preference is not a requirement for a job unless specifically stated. Any preference listed in a posting, including bi-lingual skills, is a focused skill that would bring benefit to the students or position.

If you have not done so already, you may view a list of open positions by logging on to our "Employment Opportunities" website at https://jobs.lanecc.edu. To be considered for any open positions, applicants must submit their applications and required documents electronically. As you read the postings take special note of the Minimum Qualification sections. In order to be considered for a position ensure that your application and/or hiring materials demonstrate how you meet the minimum required experience and minimum required education listed.

Preferences are not required for you to apply to or be considered for a position."

Anonymous said...

Hey I love the blog. I've been looking for more information on Personal Trainers Redmond and I was wondering if you have any good tips or pointers? I'm getting ready to move and I need all the information I can get. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey I love the blog. I've been looking for more information on Cranial Salt Lake and I was wondering if you have any good tips or pointers? I'm getting ready to move and I need all the information I can get. Thanks!