Sunday, December 13, 2009

they're saying the recession is over... as food stamps numbers increase

KATU--

Food stamps -- what really comes to mind when you think about food stamps, and the people that use them. How many times have you heard somebody complained that these people that are relying on food stamps are driving away in their Cadillacs?

The food stamp program in 2009 alone has seen an increase of 133,000 recipients bringing the total to 650,000 which include not only homeless people but people who are also underemployed.

People who never dreamed that they would need public help are now applying for food stamps.
“It’s real embarrassing when you have to go in there when you have been financially independent,” said Debbie McCollum. “I have worked all my life. I used to make over $30 an hour, and now I am poor.”

“It would make things a lot harder for me if I didn’t have it,” said Mike Silva, a 29-year-old waiter. “I can definitely see for other people that it would really be something major for them. It would really set them back or really hurt them if they didn’t have something like this.”

One other example is found in a bankruptcy filing were a man living in a $750,000 home in Portland, owns two BMWs and is now unemployed and receive nearly $400 a month in food stamps after he lost his job.

but how can this be? What were hearing on the news lately is that the recession is over, in fact, according to a December 2 report, "the University of Oregon Index of economic indicators in October shows that the states recession is over." now of course if it comes from the University of Oregon, it has to be true

With all kidding aside folks, like I have said for quite a long time we have a see no evil, hear no evil type of government that only cares about its own welfare, and they are enjoying the fact that with a tight economy, people don't have the time to get involved in politics which in turn pretty much leave the fox to guard the henhouse so to speak.

If the government doesn't get in there and tighten its belt like the rest of us have had to, and put money back in the hands of the people instead of increasing taxes, things are going to get a lot worse than they are right now.

Speaking of, I recently wrote Senator Ron Wyden and asked him the question in his opinion about the mindset of our representatives who are constantly focusing on raising taxes. The answer that I received back from his office, was the same old political BS form letter which of course did not even come close to answering the question. But then again, to be honest I really did not expect anything else.

3 comments:

Gary said...

I think the recession is over now. I'll be able to tell you for sure in a couple of weeks when I find a new job as I was let go by my employer on Friday. I also wrote to Ron Wyden and twice to Peter DeFazio with no answer from either. I also wrote to Jeff Merkley and got a reply but it was BS. I was writing about the increasing debt and how that will hurt Americans worse than anything else they can do. I think it fell on deaf ears.

Robin said...

Gary, good luck on the job hunt.

I am still looking and have not gotten a bit yet.

north dakota?

send me an e-mail and lets catch up

Gary said...

Robin,
thanks for the encouragement. I don't have your email anymore, I lost a lot when I let go. YIM me and give me your email.