Monday, September 14, 2009

Oregon governorship?
The race is on

KPTV--

Oregon Congressman Peter DeFazio met last week with former Gov. John Kitzhaber discussed the 2010 governors race. DeFazio, is currently considering the idea of running for governor however, he has not yet made that decision.

Former Gov. John Kitzhaber, last week announced that he would seek a third term as Oregon's governor.

also announcing their candidacy for governor, is former Secretary of State, Bill Bradbury.

Currently, there are three announced GOP contenders -- state Sen. Jason Atkinson of Central Point; businessman Allen Alley and Gresham businessman John Lim, a former legislator.

DeFazio, I would be willing to give him a chance at governor.
although I don't agree with everything that he has done, at least he has proven that he is more in touch and available for the people of Oregon.

Kitzhaber, if I remember correctly, he wasn't too much better than Kulongoski.

Jason Atkinson, a candidate that I supported in the last race disappointed me on two counts.
1) when challenged by Lars Larson regarding illegal aliens, Atkinson refused to stand up for his beliefs whether popular or not. Atkinson refused to come back on the show and defend his beliefs. Instead, he had his campaign manager call-in and tell Lars, "what he actually meant to say was..."
2) as part of the Atkinson's blogger group, when we approached or tried to approach Adkinson about the show, the only response that I got was from his campaign manager via e-mail, "when I speak, it's as if it came from Jason's mouth."

Not exactly!

Atkinson is also a very involved bicycle advocate. Nothing wrong with that really, except I personally feel that we would be overwhelmed more than we already are with more bike lanes, bridges, and legislations to allow bicycles to run stop signs.
just think how life would be now if Al Gore had actually been elected president.

Don't get me wrong, I've had the opportunity to meet Atkinson several times in person, and I don't think he's a bad person. However, what I am worried about, based on the Lars Larson interview is that when times get tough that he'll run and hide again. All that I can hope is that he learned his lesson.

Bill Bradbury. That name just brings shivers up my spine just thinking about it.

The remaining three, -- know nothing about them. more than likely just people to take up space on the ballots and drop out as soon as the campaign gets started. Where else is new?

All I do know, as a lifelong Oregonian, is that our state is really going into the toilet, and it seems like people in Salem don't really care. I mean, look at our unemployment rate... holding steady at number two and number three in the nation. How often do we hear anything coming out of Salem that addresses this issue? Not often in my opinion. all I hear is tax increases, and more spending.

We REALLY need someone that REALLY has Oregon's best interest in mind and a checks and balance system that can better control or makes a representative more accountable for their actions.

3 comments:

Bobkatt said...

There's also the small problem that Atkinson accepted a vacation to Maui in 2002 offered by the Oregon Beer and Wine Distributors Association and did not report it to the state ethics commission as required by law. The usual excuses of gosh I didn't know and gee the lobbyist never told me no longer cut it. While this my seem like a small indiscretion, I claim that number one problem in America is not health care or the economy, but corruption. Reform begins at home. If excepting gifts from lobbyists was not unethical then there would be no limit on it or concern that it is reported. I no longer will except any corruption. Zero tolerance, period. Same goes for Sid Liken if he is guilty of misusing campaign funds. Voting for the lesser of two evils is what has gotten us to this point.

Robin said...

I agree...

However, it would be refreshing to have a candidate like Vence Ventura, who when they started to play the politics games basically said, yes, I did that, now let's move on.

Can't have a scandal if you admit to it.

However, with our history of electing what we perceive as the lesser of two evils, there is got to be somebody with common sense would be willing to run for governor, or any office for that matter.

I am watching my home, Oregon continually go into the toilet, and I don't know what to do about it.

Bobkatt said...

I'm not familiar with Ventura but I am sick of people that can't make appropriate decisions in their personal lives thinking they should run our lives.