Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My dear readers,



Well, I'm still searching for some sort of semi-reliable Internet access. I've tried resorting to dial-up which works sporadically and I can only maintain communications for about five minutes if I'm lucky. I signed up for Verizon wireless Internet, which they assured me that they cover 90% of the United States and that my area should be covered. While as luck would have it, I am in the 10% that is not covered. AT&T, which is currently advertising that "the Internet can't hide anymore", has found a place to hide here. So my quest continues...

As I said in my previous post, there has been some good things and some bad things that have happened since I quit my job.

The plan... was that I moved in with my best friend who recently moved to North Dakota about a month before me, obtain my CDL, and start driving trucks for three dollars an hour more than I'm currently making.

I bought my friend a train ticket so that she could come down and help me work on the house and then take two vehicles back to North Dakota. On the day that we were getting ready to leave, her and my sister got into a fight which started a chain of events that cost me my best friend.

Shortly after arriving in North Dakota, I find that North Dakota has a residency requirement of 90 days before I can get a North Dakota driver's license or CDL and that you have to prove with a utility bill or some other official documents. A handwritten rent receipt is not acceptable proof.

Fortunately for me, in the meantime, my ex-best friend's friend is allowing me to stay with him until I get my CDL and get a job, in exchange, I have been helping him work on his trucks (he owns a trucking company) and help him around the farm.

I've also been restoring a 1987 Freightliner as part of my training.

Well, like the saying goes, "best laid plans..."

My home, and my family are still in Eugene.

I left my job on good terms, and although my company does not "backfill", my supervisor sent me several listings of jobs that I am eligible to apply for (assuming I can get to the Internet).

There are job opportunities here. So the dilemma is to stay here and take advantage of the opportunities or go back home and HOPE that I can find work before my reserves are totally expired.

Should I decide to stay to work, my heart and home are still in Eugene, and as soon as I can get reliable Internet service, I will resume the blog on a daily basis again. (They're not getting rid of me that easily)

So, keep checking back, and again, thank you for all your well wishes and support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're alive!!!!!
I half expected you to return to Oregon after all that has happened. But as 'luck' would have it the job market still leaves much to be desired at the present time. I'm glad that you are OK, keeping busy and have a roof over your head. Keep in touch....and next time you call, leave a number! groovy days, L

Anonymous said...

OK, you have me beat in the "life is an adventure" world!

Hang in there!!!