Friday, September 07, 2007

Robin's Nest and personal life changes

Robin's Commentary--

As some of my regular readers have discovered, postings to Robin's Nest has been sporadic lately. The reason for this is a major life change.

Today, I'm doing something that I've never done in my lifetime... leaving a job.

After semi surviving my experiences at Lane community college and the ridiculous amount of constant battle with financial aid, I was fortunate enough to land a job with a local Fortune 500 company where I have been for the last year.

While I'm not going to say anything good or bad about the company here, [I could spend all day on that subject] I will say that it has been a very interesting and very stressful experience to the point, that it has severely started to affect my health.

In the 13 months that I have worked for this company, I have had to take off more days more for being sick than with any other company in my life. So, I am forced to start asking my self, "Is the money really worth your health?"

In this particular case,no! it is a high stress, low-paying ($13 an hour) with not much room for professional advancement job.

So today is my last day.

While I do have the prospect of another job lined up, [despite what people at City Hall think, Eugene's economy sucks big time (or is that sucking sound the sound of more taxes being drained out of my savings?)]
unfortunately, during this transition, I will not have the time to post for at least a couple of weeks.

To my loyal readers, please continue to check back as Robin's Nest is only going to take a little vacation.

Wish me luck!

Sincerely,

Robin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin --
I have enjoyed working with you and getting to know you during this past year however, I curse the day you showed me you blog. Now I feel like my day is missing something when I don't read and it really tightens my jaw when I look and don't find anything new. I expect to read your blog and see what you think. I enjoy talking with you about what's going on and I enjoy adding my 2 cents worth from time to time. I will miss you and your blog while you are in transition. Enjoy your new life and drive safely.

Bobkatt said...

Good Luck Robin. I'm sorry that you weren't rewarded for your hard work in a way that made sense for you. We need people with your incite in Eugene to keep us sane. I'm betting that as screwed up as this town is you will just have to return to this forum in order to vent your outrage. It's just a matter of time.
Please take care.

Anonymous said...

WA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-H!
From surfing the net to surfing the pavement - that's quite a leap. Hope it works out for you. You sure deserve better than you got here. And by all means PLEASE comment on the school and job. Both SUCKED THE LIFE OUT OF YOU! Best of luck and groovy days.

The Cheezer said...

I grew up in Eugene and the surrounding area. About 10 years ago I moved to Portland area and I have made more money as a starting wage then I did after years at an employer. Unfortunately, the politics in Portland are worse than Eugene. But Eugene is also a dingier little town.
I am not sure of your expertise, but I would suggest looking for work in the medical industry. If you can get in with one that has competition and is not union, the pay is good and the benefits are fantastic.
Best thing I ever did was leave Eugene and change careers.
Good Luck! And please blog about your experience; we would all appreciate hearing about your struggles. We like to know we aren't alone and we really enjoy hearing about your success as you move up.

Gullyborg said...

hey, good luck!!!

remember, if you don't change your career several times, you are probably doing something wrong and missing out on something important.