Monday, August 27, 2007

Proposed ordinance would require homeowners to pay for upkeep of public sidewalks

Statesman Journal--

Salem -- proposed changes in sidewalk ordinances may require homeowners and businesses to pay for the upkeep of public sidewalks.

Previously, the city has been responsible for all sidewalk repairs unless it can prove that a property owner has damaged the sidewalk.
Question: if a homeowner has to pay for the sidewalk, does it now become private property?

In addition, if the city cannot afford to pay for the repairs to the sidewalk, how do they expect the public to do it?

I don't know about you, but I'm not wealthy. I have to take out a loan or borrow on a credit card soon just to paint my house

Moreover, why stop at sidewalks... how about paying for the maintenance of the streets in front of our houses (citing Garden Way in Eugene as an example)

Then who would be responsible for the streetlights, traffic signs, etc.

Tell me again why we pay property taxes... oh yes, I almost forgot... to fund the schools

1 comment:

Bobkatt said...

I think Eugene has had some form of this law for a long time. Years ago my dad had a piece of sidewalk that for some reason had risen about 1/2 inch from the adjoining piece and was told if he didn't repair it they would come out and do it and bill him an enormous amount. We had to buy a concrete grinding disc and sand down the offending edge.