Thursday, July 19, 2007

What do you think of the Harlow Road roundabout?

KMTR--

Roundabouts are commonplace overseas, however, they are new to the people of Eugene/Springfield area and they are starting to show up at more and more intersections.

The question comes to play is that are they better than stoplights?

The roundabout in Springfield at Harlow Road and Pioneer Parkway has been in service for nine months, and according to the Lane County Sheriff's office, there haven't been any injury accidents yet at this location.

Some drivers (including myself) think that these intersections are dangerous in design, however, the Springfield public works department who have been monitoring traffic with a surveillance camera disagrees.
" we found occasionally errors and mistakes being made," observes traffic engineer Brian Barnett, "and over time, those mistakes have diminished and gone away almost completely. "

that could be as people like me go out of their way to AVOID this intersection as much as possible!
The Oregon Department of Transportation will release in January will release statistics for accidents at this location.
personally, I do not understand the logic of the such as the one at Harlow Road. First of all, the ones that they use overseas are huge. Secondly, cramming four lanes of traffic into one little intersection, especially during rush hour, is supposed to be more EFFICIENT than a well-timed stoplight? I don't think so.


7 comments:

MAX Redline said...

Behind the shelter in the middle of the Roundabout, The pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray.
And though she feels as if she’s in a play
She is anyway

Very Strange

Anonymous said...

I am trying to figure out your problem with the roundabout. I travel through it all the time and find it to be very simple. Explain why you really don't like it other than the fact it is change and it is obvious that Springfield is quite a bit more progressive than many other cities.

Bobkatt said...

Max-referencing the Beatles-genius.
How about "call it morning driving thru the sound and in and out the valley"?
On topic-I haven't seen the one mentioned, but if as relatively small as the ones in Eugene, they aren't much more than 4-way yield signs with a tank trap in the middle. But, if they are a sign of progressiveness then gosh they must be good because progress is alway good-right?

Anonymous said...

A one-lane roundabout is just fine. I've been through a couple in West Eugene that I have absolutely no problem with. I went through the two-lane roundabout Robin mentioned and, unless I'm just turning West there, I'll avoid it like the plague! The people I was at the roundabout with had very little clue and very little comfort in trying to get through it. Others seemed to just rush through it ... and how the heck do you get out of the middle of it to turn? A person could get stuck there for freakin' ever!

(Personally, I'll plan to go North and then back out to I-5, thanks.)

Anonymous said...

Most people do avoid it. And notice that the report says no INJURY accidents have happened. There are a lot of fender benders, which sometimes are more of a pain. I'm not sure if the round about has helped a traffic problem or not...was that its purpose? I thought that we were supposed to encourage people to drive less, not make it easier to keep the gas flowing. More roads or easier access are not the solution.

Anonymous said...

I hope you all get out of the dark ages. This is one of the easiest roundabouts I have gone through, and believe me, they are all over the country. Anon 729, in Springfield you can still buy an SUV and not feel guilty about it.

When Springfield starts building the Gateway Blvd couplet next year, have fun avoiding the roundabout and getting caught in more traffic jams. I will continue to drive through it and get to where I need to go quickly.

Anonymous said...

anon 10:15 -
Buying that SUV for no other reason than "I can" is nothing to feel good about. This is the technology age not the engine age. Maybe YOU should get with it. More roads and more drivers IS NOT a move forward.