Sunday, January 29, 2006

"Elect me as your representative and I promised to..."


how many times have you heard that one?

"I care about the people... I feel your pain."

"I think it is about time that blah government blahblah….and I am for blahblahblah taxes. blahblahblahblah should be for the people, because the people are blahblahblah .
So elect me as blahblahblah and you will seeblahblahblah. " Yea…Talk to the hand. Zzzzzzzz

So you say to your partner [okay, I am being a little politically correct] *Yahn * "same old garbage... just another politician promising anything to get your vote...

Politics as usual.

So I guess that I will do what I do every election, pick using the following criteria. let's see...

I don't know him/her...

I don't like or trust him/her...

he/she don't have a clue...

he/she an incumbent... I definitely don't want him...

he/she could not hold a real job!

Therefore, I guess once again it is voting for the lesser of two evils or don't vote at all.


This is how I feel and it does not surprise me at all how many other people that I talk to also feel this way.

"The government is the people...", "people are the government..."

We lost that privilege a long time ago and that is evident by how unresponsive the government is to the people's needs.

Surprisingly, however, this is not the case with Senator Atkinson. he is not the same old same old politician that we have become accustomed to and that is a good thing, and as they say... the proof is in the pudding.
Check this out.
.

Last Saturday, this group of motley crew otherwise known as bloggers were invited to attend a luncheon/meeting with Senator Jason Atkinson (last row right)and his campaign manager Matt Evans.
This was not one of those events where you and a hundred other people go to a fancy restaurant, listen to a speech for an hour and then get a short question-and-answer period.

NOPE!

We met in a small office in Tigard for 2 1/2 hours and ate club sandwiches and chips. The senator who was very tired from being on the road all day even took time to make us coffee.

We started out with a question-and-answer period and then he shared with us some of his ideas and asked us for our opinions.

One of the questions that he had asked [and I want to open it up for discussion here on this blog] is what can he do outside of the normal biased media to reach out to people?

Of course there was the discussion of raising money, but that is a given. Senator Atkinson is running a very tight campaign financially and is looking for contributions from people for what they can comfortably afford, such as $25, $10 etc.

As a homeowner and a taxpayer, every November as I watch thousands of dollars of my savings go into government and listening to same old blahblah rhetoric of doublespeak that spews out of politicians/salesman mouths, "I care blah lower taxes blahblah." Yeah, whatever! Just meaningless buzzwords!

I don't believe that is the case here. I believe that Senator Atkinson really means what he says when he talks about Oregon and wants to bring Oregon back to the people.

Just out of curiosity, after the meeting I asked Matt [who is an experienced campaign manager] if he had ever known any politician to meet one-on-one with people like this.

His response, "no, except for question-and-answer periods after a speech, or with a meeting of volunteers, a meeting like this is very unusual."

And who are we? We are just average citizens with their little amateurish publications [blogs] that Senator Atkinson felt was important enough to take time out of his busy schedule to talk over club sandwiches.


4 comments:

Jim in KFalls said...

Robin,
To address your(Jason's) question, I think he has covered the "non-conventional media" basis quite well.

Perhaps (additional?) regional coverage through local newspapers or television and radio interviews could help - I know the biggest outreach comes from his interviews on Lars's show.

Certianly having someone respond to e-mail from his website would be good.

Aside from that - I can't think of anything else...

Robin said...

I agree. I think it is his appearances on the talk shows that actually does him the most good.

Especially when he has put up against the other candidates, in my opinion, is where he really shines.

lookup media helps me in my opinion, if you can set up more venues where the average citizen can come up to a podium or something and ask him a question, similar to a town hall meeting I would think that it would work out better then an interview only with some media personality who is only going to ask what "they" think that the people want to ask.

Like Ross Perot, he bypassed a lot of the traditional media and went straight to the people.

MAX Redline said...

Great descrtiption of the meeting, Robin. Although they were hero sandwiches, which I thought was a fitting decision by Matt...:-)

Robin said...

LOL

well,at least I didn't call it a hoagie :-)