Wednesday, January 06, 2010

as predicted like a hungry dog waiting on a bone
Police are looking for people talking on the cell phone

Gazette Times --

Oregon State police had already begun stopping motorists for talking on hand-held cell phones however, most aren't given tickets yet according to an official on Monday.

It appears that most drivers are following the new law said Lt. Gregg Hastings of Oregon State police.
"The sense I'm getting is that it looks like we handed out three times as many warnings as we did citations during the first weekend," Hastings said.

Hastings and other law enforcement officials warn that the grace period will last long and talking on the phone without a hands-free device could cost you a $142 ticket.

I agree and I disagree with this law.

I agree with it because there are some people out there that can't walk and chew gum at the same time chatting on the telephone and are oblivious to everything else around them.

I disagree with the law because on the other hand there are people like myself who are used to using a communications device in a vehicle where it's not a distraction at all.

What I would rather see happening is to see somebody get a citation if they are involved in an accident or have caused an accident because they are chatting on the cell phone.

What I do not want to see happening is law enforcement officers now looking at people with cell phones as a source of revenue like they do with the seatbelt law AND I would rather see "law enforcement" officers focusing on crime and public protection.

Yes I can just see it now where law agencies are sending out patrols and roadblocks looking for people who are using cell phones like they do with the seatbelt law.

Here's a scenario... the scene, police roadblock.

Officer: ma'am, have you been using a cell phone without a handset?

Woman: no officer, I have not been on the phone at all.

Officer: ma'am step out of the car please and show me your left ear.

No comments: