Thursday, September 03, 2009

It's interesting how labor laws do not apply in some industries

Well I'm in my third week of my new job. And I can tell you, that it has been a real eye opening experience.

Of course, since I have an associates of science degree in computer networking from lane community college (LCC or (L)ousy (C)ollege (C)hoice) which of course, fully qualifies me for this new career… truck driving!

Any ways I digress.

Trucking is a very interesting industry. Your exempt from most labor laws. It is long hours with no overtime. You're lucky if you at least make half of minimum wage. it is a very highly regulated industry and the DOT has the right so stop you for any reason and search your vehicle. plus, it doesn't seem like it on the surface, but it literally wears you out.

Now don't get me wrong… I'm not complaining(much). I'm just happy to have a job. However, I guess my point is, that unless you actually are in this industry, you really don't realize how good you got it in other jobs.

So as I get used to the new hours, very very soon, I will resume blogging on the local events and other crazy stuff going on around Oregon.

Stay tuned, more fun to come.

3 comments:

OregonGuy said...

Spent plenty of time with jobs that others would have, perhaps, called "degrading".

Lobby man for the Hilton in Portland...cleaning public spaces, yep, the lavatories, too. Actually, I had a great boss--Gudrun Zimmerman--and I enjoyed busting my tail for her.

Threw a hammer for a number of years, tied steel, humped a wheelbarrow.

Worked retail, M & F, a privately held haberdashery in Portland which led to a commission sales job at the bottom of the escalator at the Grand Avenue Sears. Made a ton of money. Left to work for T. McCall's Come Back Campaign.

Ended up doing consulting work and when that contract ended, pumped diesel fuel for a truck stop waiting for my next gig.

Point is, I've never been without employment, even though some of those jobs were entry level. (And me with a BA!)

Typically, within weeks or months I found the prototypical job--pay me more and make me do less. (Really. Those were the terms of my last two jobs before setting up my own company.)

Enjoy your hump time. Learning to hump better than your peers will gain you something that those who do less will never know. Dignity.
.

RaiderDuck said...

Robin: You could always apply down here at University of Phoenix Tech Support, as I suspect they might be hiring some more people. $14+/hr, free schooling, and I have no doubt you could handle the work. Something to think about if you get tired of trucking.

--Joel

Robin said...

Thanks Joel,

I'll Look in to it.

do you know which location?