Thursday, October 26, 2006

OSU creates a new breakthrough in tomatoes -- they're purple

Yahoo! News--

Researchers at Oregon State University are fine tuning a purple tomato which is more than just a fashion statement, it is a new bland of colors and nutrients.
The pigment contains the same phytochemical found in blueberries that is thought to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.

The purple tomatoes used to grow in the wild a hundred years ago, but species never made it to the table because it was small and some are poisonous [ a minor detail that is hard to market ] however, in the 1960s and 1970s, scientists have collected seeds from the purple tomatoes and bred them with modern hybrids, making them safe to eat.
Peter Mes , a former Oregon State graduate student is now a tomato breeder at Sakata Seed America .
I could not resist, so I will apologize in advance for the pun...
It was just a visual that I got when I thought of "tomato breeder".


1 comment:

Bobkatt said...

I'm afraid it might be a long time before I buy purple tomatoes. It has to do with that "some were poisonous" part. I'm still not buying spinach. I love tomatoes and I love blueberries but I think I'll stick to buying them seperately thank you. There's a reason they disappeared.