Monday, July 31, 2006

that old analog cell phone that you love may cost you more...

BRUCE MEYERSON, AP Business Writer--


about 4.7 million Cingular wireless scribers with older phones will have to pay five dollars extra each month as the company tries to prod them to get new handsets.
" The new fee, which will generate $23.5 million a month for Cingular, adds to a confusing array of surcharges and government taxes that, regardless of the wireless company, can boost the average cellular bill by up to 50 percent from the advertised rate. "
sound familiar?

Cingular as well as other cellular companies are required by the FCC to keep providing analog service until early 2008 so long as it's still as customers with analog phones.
A federal lawsuit in July was filed claiming Cingular promised to provide uninterrupted service to AT&T wireless customers however degraded their phone reception in order to persuade them to sign new contracts.
" On Monday, Cingular issued a statement to AP saying that with the number of analog and TDMA users dwindling, "the per-customer cost of using that network is increasing considerably. That‘s why we made a decision to impose this charge." "

3 comments:

MAX Redline said...

Amusing. It's one of many reasons why I don't use "plan" systems. I'm not an imortant guy, so I don't have to have a phone glued to my ear as I wander through Freddie's or drive. I use a Tracfone. At least the unused minutes roll over.

First time I ever used a cell phone happened to be the day after I got it - I called 911 when a lumber truck flipped on the highway in front of me.

I was fine, but I wasn't real sure about the driver of the truck.

jeff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jeff said...

I think Cingular needs to look into Verizon's "New every two" plan... every two years you can get a new phone.

For free.