Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Announcement: Slow posting ahead



Posts are going to be a little slow this week as this is the first week of school and my first week at the University of Oregon.

It has already been quite a trip and some things that I feel have been quite interesting. Particularly in the aspects of, "what I am being charged and where my money is going"

To start, let's talk about the U of O's refund policy.

For example, unlike Lane community college, which gives you a chance to try the class for a least one day and still gives you the opportunity to get a 100% refund, the University of Oregon, allows you that opportunity one day before the term starts.

Otherwise you donate 10% of the class fee to the University of Oregon assuming that you drop the class before the beginning of the second week.

I already had dropped one of my classes, and also have this to say about my experience.

Realizing of course that teachers and professors have to start somewhere, the University of Oregon has this thing called, "Graduate Teaching Fellowship" (GTF).

So my very first class at the University of Oregon yesterday, was trigonometry math 112 being taught by some kid who was more nervous than I was being a brand new student.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this and she informed me that the professors there normally do not teach 100 & 200 level classes, the GTF's do.

Like I said, everybody has to start somewhere. However, since most educational institutions charge by the credit hour, and speaking from a consumer's point of view (a phrase that I have found in my experiences at Lane community college they do not like) I'm having to wonder why I am paying the same amount to have an amateur instruct me versus a seasoned professional.

So, I went into the class with the attitude of, OK, let's give this guy a try and see how it works out.

So after 10 minutes of the usual introduction and discussing the syllabus, he starts his class. After about 15 minutes of scrawling diagrams, and figures and making a few jokes about Star Wars to compare what he is doing on the board, he then springs a surprise on us, "by the way, I forgot to mention that I do not allow CALCULATORS on any of the tests and quizzes"

So feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, I immediately drop the class.

I then headed over to Lane community college, talked to a season instructor there that teaches the same subject who proceeds to inform me that you cannot do this class without a calculator. My tutor, who has her degrees in mathematics also concurs.

So, since I am still duel enrolled between the two colleges, even though it will cost me more in student fees, and the University of Oregon's fee for credit classes depends on how many credits you take, at least I will be getting my math instruction from a seasoned professional and feeling like I'm getting my money's worth.

7 comments:

Daniel said...

Glad to see that you conseratives at U of O are all going to stick together. All four of you...

I very highly recommend Dinesh D'Souza's book, "Letters to a Young Conservative."

Great for the conservative on campus!

Anonymous said...

I know now of at least 4 here at the Law School.

Granted, 4 out of 600 ain't much. But I am optomistic that there are quite a few more who are simply unwilling to come out of the closet.

Unknown said...

No calculators in a math class. Sounds to me like a premium curve scenerio. My guess is that he'll give you the tools you need on the final or change his policy about calculators. Assuming your engaged in learning and of above average intelligence these classes can be great.

Furthermore, your prof. is in training. You can totally access him and get a leg up on everyone else in the class. Approach the guy after class.

And to the other students, at Lewis and Clark's lawschool I can remember running into less than six Republicans in my entire time here.

Robin said...

math has always been a difficult subject for me anyways,so if I try to figure out square roots and fractions without a calculator, I would be totally lost.

I dropped this math course, and I am taking the equivalent course at Lane community college by a seasoned teacher who is willing to work with my schedule.

It cost me more to do it this way, e.g. student fees etc. but I think that will retain some of my sanity in the process.

If I do not continue on into the computer side of things, then this'll be my last math course.

Sailor -- what is this Republican event at the U of O that you are talking about?

Robin said...

thanks, I might just do that after I get settled :-)o

Daniel said...

Sorry to hurt your feelings Sailor, it was sarcasm directed at UofO and Eugene, not the efforts of college Republicans.

I hope that you guys all get together and are able to make a difference!

Anonymous said...

So robin...are you upset at the the TA, the cost, the setup, or that you would have been required to do trig without a calculator?